[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Virus in download [Tux Typing]

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 17:16:43 UTC 2015

Hi Emma,

I'm nominally the maintainer for Tux Typing although development has been
dormant for quite a while.

Please tell us the download site just to be sure we are talking about the
same thing, but I am almost certain that this is about the self-signed SSL
certificates on the Alioth site. This has been known for years and is not
under the control of anyone from tux4kids. Basically this is a completely
volunteer project and no one wants to pay for commercially signed
certificates out of their own pocket. As a result,  browsers generate scary
- sounding warnings and ordinary users think this has something to do with
a virus. Every year or so we get emails saying "tuxtype/tuxmath has a
virus" and this is always the issue.

So you have a couple of options:
1. Take my word for it and go ahead and download our software despite the
browser warnings.
2. Instead you can go to sourceforge.net and download the exact same files.
Unlike Alioth, SourceForge is a commercial site that has a budget for
things like commercial SSL certificates, so your kids and their parents
won't get any alarming warnings.

If the situation you are seeing is something other than what I described
above, please let me know. That is, tell me exactly what the popups say and
what malware has supposedly been detected. But I have been through this
cycle about ten times in the last few years, and always it has been a
matter of users seeing a warning that the site isn't trusted, and
immediately they think that means the software has a virus.

Regards - David Bruce