[Utnubu-discuss] Ubuntu patches

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Sat Jan 14 14:59:26 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Saturday 14 January 2006 15:14, Philipp Kern wrote:
> Stephan Hermann wrote:
> > It wasn't meant to be as offense, but I see some debian packages and
> > their bug report and the maintainer didn't react in a countable period of
> > time (e.g. boson-base). So I'm asking, I like the email approach as well,
> > but sometimes you have to check somewhere else via web, so I take my time
> > and do this.
>
> The maintainer confirmed on Aug 18, 2005 to the MIA people that all his
> packages could be orphaned. The bug reports confirming this are just not
> yet filed against WNPP. Perhaps you could prepare an upload ready for
> Debian which closes all open bugs?

Well, not me. I think I made my position quiet clear, that noone will ever see
an upload to Debian from me. I have my reasons.

But the information is quite interesting. Because nobody is taking care about
this package, which has some users who are playing this game, and nobody knew
about the fact, that all his packages were orphaned.

But, as you can see it now with the Ubuntu Universe Developers, they do care,
and trying to fix issues with even packages, where upstream (in ubuntus case
it's debian) is not responsive.

The problem for us, in this case, that we don't know about those facts, that
the maintainer don't have time anymore to work on his packages.

Good thing to know, even for Debian, that development goes on, eventually not
directly in Debian, but in Ubuntu. And if I'm not working for Ubuntu anymore,
there are others, who will take my place, and doing the work :) (That is why
I don't like this strict maintainer ship model of Debian)

Solution: I'll ask some of our fellow MOTUs, who are, hooray, DDs, too, to do
an NMU upload for the new upstream version.
What do you think?

Have a nice Saturday,

\sh