[Utnubu-discuss] Utnubu and collaborative maintenance with Ubuntu MOTU

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Mon Jan 16 13:16:37 UTC 2006

On 16/01/06 at 14:03 +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> Hi Raphael,
>
> On Monday 16 January 2006 12:45, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > as you know, I'm trying to push forward collaborative maintenance with
> > Ubuntu. With several Ubuntu MOTU we'd like to make that a reality for new
> > packages created by Ubuntu.
>
> Thx for that :)
>
> > The maintainer field in the package should be either the name of someone
> > that would like to maintain the package or a mailing list to be defined
> > by the MOTU team which created the package. Stefan ? Rheinhard ?
>
> I have a question:
>
> 1. Is this discussed with the MOTU hopefuls or MOTUs who are/were contributing
> to Ubuntu, if they want that?
>
> E.g. I don't mind, if someone takes over my package and will push it into
> Debian. Well, if it has to be, he/she (the new package maintainer) have to
> put his name into the Maintainer field. Because then, the debian package will
> be our upstream, and I don't have any work anymore for taking care about
> it :)
> But I can't speak for others, because there are some people who were uploading
> to revu and after some time to ubuntu, which are going the NM way as well, or
> will go.
> So a very detailed check about packages which are in Ubuntu but not in debian
> has to be done and it has to be discussed with the creator.

/!\ not all packages in this case are from REVU uploads. A lot of them
are from an apt-get.org import, some of them were removed from Debian
but not from Ubuntu, etc. Until we clearly know the state of each
package in this case, we shouldn't think of doing Ubuntu->Debian
packages import on a large scale. Waiting for requests from Ubuntu
developers is probably the best way to go for now.
--
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas at nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |