[Utnubu-discuss] Utnubu and collaborative maintenance with Ubuntu MOTU

Reinhard Tartler siretart at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 14:07:11 UTC 2006

On 1/16/06, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog at debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> So the generic answer is: whoever integrates the package in the SVN is
> responsible to fill the Maintainer field by checking with the various
> parties involved.

I agree.

> > E.g. I don't mind, if someone takes over my package and will push it into
> > Debian. Well, if it has to be, he/she (the new package maintainer) have to
> > put his name into the Maintainer field. Because then, the debian package will
> > be our upstream, and I don't have any work anymore for taking care about
> > it :)
>
> You're telling: I care enough about the package to maintain it in Ubuntu
> but I don't care enough to help maintain it inside Debian. The actual result
> may be that the package doesn't get integrated into Debian and you keep
> the work of maintaining it but Debian doesn't benefit from your work. Both
> sides loose. :-|
>
> Doing it once for both distributions is the sensible course of action.

Right. But obviously, there are people working on packages, who don't
want or cannot to test it in a debian environment properly. Those
people would need some sort of comaintainer on the debian side.

I'm not sure if I understood the initial announcement of utnubu
correctly, perhaps my proposal/question is already stated there: Is
the utnubu team open for MOTU Members, who want to
contribute/develope/maintain their packages in ubuntu on the debian
side? In this case, the DDs and debian users of utnubu would check the
packaging and the integration into debian and eventually upload it to
debian, from where ubuntu can sync from.

In this case, I'd like to join any time :)

> > 2. I don't think it's a good idea to put the "MOTU Team" as maintainer of
> > those packages, because we aren't the maintainer. There is someone who
> > created the package, but if he/she doesn't want to take care about the
> > package anymore, doesn't matter if it's in ubuntu or debian, and there are no
> > or one installation(s) of this package, we should think about removing them
> > from the archives (regarding universe).
>
> This is in contradiction with your current practice, no ?

>From discussion on IRC: Stephans argument is that the MOTU as ubuntu
group should not be made responsible for bugs only in debian. He is
rather proposing that another group consiting of both DDs and MOTUs
should care for them and be in the Maintainer Field. Utnubu could be
the point here!

--
regards,
    Reinhard