[Utnubu-discuss] Utnubu and collaborative maintenance with Ubuntu MOTU

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Tue Jan 17 13:25:05 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 13:24, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
> > "
> > the objection I have is only to change the responsibilities of the core
> > motu team.
> > In my POV the core MOTU team can't be the maintainer (if this is decided
> > somehow), because the responsibilities right now are Ubuntu, and not
> > fixing bugs in packages coming from ubuntu but running on debian.
>
> This is imho exactly the reason why Joey wrote his email (admittingly
> it was written a bit rude).  He does not want to be bothered with bugs
> from a modified version of his software.  Recompiling and linking
> against a different library is the same as modifying.  So for the same
> reason MOTU team can't be maintainer in Debian, Joey or any other DD
> can't be maintainer in Ubuntu by default.  And the full rationale you

Which is ok, imho, if we would use the maintainer field. But neither the
Maintainer field nor the Uploaders field is technically used in Ubuntu.
A bug report address is added to the package description automatically for
binary packages, too.

So, thinking about the usual user, who can use synaptic or adept, but don't
see the Maintainer via apt-cache or don't care about the maintainer, who is
seeing this as "Joey Hess is maintaining the packages in Ubuntu"?

How many mails he got during the last 3 releases for packages of him in
ubuntu?

> have written already too:
> > Rational behind this: People are joining MOTU because of Ubuntu, People
> > are joining Debian, because of Debian. If I, as MOTU, fix a bug in a
> > package which came from Debian, I'm doing it for Ubuntu, and not for
> > Debian. The same happens the other way around.
>
> I'm just trying to point out that I agee that you can't be assumed
> responsible for your package in a different distribution.  Being
> listed in the maintainer field is being responsible.  But keep in mind
> that this works in both directions.

It would if we would have such thing as maintainership. But we don't have
those type of individual packages.
What we are talking about is, that (and this is Ubuntu internal) the MOTU team
as it is now, can't be used as maintainer in debian.
What we can do is to create a new team, where people from the MOTU team wants
to work on packages, from Ubuntu, for Debian. This team can be the maintainer
for Debian, because Debian has a maintainership modell.

regards,

\sh