[Utnubu-discuss] Collaboration between Ubuntu and Debian on the Ubuntu side: a proposal

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Mon Jan 23 14:50:46 UTC 2006

On 23/01/06 at 11:24 -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> On 1/23/06, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've worked on a proposal aiming at improving the collaboration with
> > Debian on Ubuntu's side (addressing mainly bug/changes-feedbacking to
> > Debian).
> >
> > Can you review and comment on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DCT ?
> >

> Hi Lucas,
>
> I think we can update ajmitch' spec[0] (or just burn that and start
> from scratch with his approval) with the final version of this
> document. Btw, I've some comments about its current content:

I'll ask ajmitch about this.

> "The Debian maintainer reacts promptly to all input by the DCT. This
> mean acknowledging bug reports and commenting them in days, not weeks.
>
> The Debian maintainer has to upload a new package with the changes as
> soon as possible to keep the divergence between Debian and Ubuntu as
> low as possible. This means weeks, not months."
>
> I think the text above needs work, simple because as you said well:
> "We all are volunteers, and have lives. This sometimes creates
> additional delays."

In my mind, the DCT is like teamwork between some Debian maintainers and
an Ubuntu team. It has to be based on a trust relationship: the debian
maintainer must react as promptly as possible to bugs submitted by the
DCT. I don't think that the DCT members (or even DDs members of the DCT,
with their DCT hat on) should interact with the normal Debian
development (reporting MIA maintainers for example) :
- A maintainer not responding to a bug report after a month would be
  totally inappropriate when working with the DCT.
- But it is OK for normal Debian work.

Also, I would prefer that this document doesn't look like a policy. It's
just here to put the basis of a trust relationship, not to establish
rules.
--
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas at nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |