[Utnubu-discuss] Re: Ubuntu patches as RSS feeds

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Wed May 24 20:10:46 UTC 2006

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 09:15:40PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > This is already planned for the "mail part" of the PTS. There's a new
> > "derivatives" keyword that user can set to receive automatically news of
> > their packages in derivatives like Ubuntu. Ubuntu has agreed to send
> > updates (with debdiff) of their packages to the PTS in that way and I
> > expect this to be completed in a few weeks (once Dapper is released).
>
> This sounds like a good move. I believe it will largely obsolete my RSS
> feeds, though -- I can't really see the big use case for following a package
> by RSS instead of by e-mail, but I might not be visionary enough. :-)

Well, RSS is a different media than mail and not all people like to
subscribe to mail. RSS is more anonymous for example... so I see that as a
good opportunity to provide the same infor to an extended set of people.

> > IMO the RSS is a kind of "extra" features where we can afford a bit less
> > "customizing" whereas the mail part has to be very cautious or people will
> > stop using the PTS...
>
> Mm. What one would want, then, would probably be something like the "Latest
> news" part, only for RSS...?

Yes, that's the idea: the latest news + the other important informations
like the Ubuntu patches and the list of problems.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog