[Utnubu-discuss] Re: Ubuntu patches as RSS feeds

Gustavo Franco gustavorfranco at gmail.com
Wed May 24 21:06:14 UTC 2006

On 5/24/06, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog at debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 May 2006, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> > > And in this case, I just believe that integrating it in the PTS is the
> > > right thing and that a RSS feed for Ubuntu patches only would not be much
> > > used.
> >
> > I already have 85 distinct IPs checking feeds, based on that single blog
> > posting; granted, that's only a pointer, and I guess many of those won't be
> > using it for much, but it's a signal that there at least is _some_ interest.
>
> Sure.
>
> > The problem seems to be that at some point, one would want some kind of
> > filtering. Sure, I could send e-mail to <source>@packages.debian.org, but
> > based on previous experience, not all Debian maintainers really _want_ this
> > kind of information, and I'd rather not upset anyone; the issues are
> > sensitive enough as they are. If not, we'd have to provide some way of
> > pushing information into the PTS that won't automatically go out to the
> > maintainer, but could still be subscribed to.
>
> This is already planned for the "mail part" of the PTS. There's a new
> "derivatives" keyword that user can set to receive automatically news of
> their packages in derivatives like Ubuntu. Ubuntu has agreed to send
> updates (with debdiff) of their packages to the PTS in that way and I
> expect this to be completed in a few weeks (once Dapper is released).
> (...)

Turn Utnubu Scottwatcher[0] obsolete this way is pointless IMHO. They
should do patch triage and open bugs in our BTS (manually yes).

[0] = http://people.debian.org/~stratus/scottwatcher/

-- stratus
ps: Scottwatcher isn't sending mails right now, due to a unknown
problem with its mail code or haydn. Btw, the mail test (see the code)
works in haydn.