[Utnubu-discuss] Meeting and first dude

Siegfried Gevatter (RainCT) rainct at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 17 19:17:31 UTC 2009

2009/4/17 Rafael Belmonte <eaglescreen at gmail.com>:
> Hello, my name is Rafael, I have been learning some of Debian packaging, and
> I plan to package for Debian some packages that are already in Ubuntu, so I
> think i am in the right place.

Hi Rafael,

And first of all, welcome :).

> My idea is to use and build directly from source packages obtained from
> Ubuntu repositories, but checking firstly that they build in a Debian system
> and changing the maintainer field if necessary.
> If you think i am in a wrong way, please tell me.

Well, Debian has the concept of package ownership (ie, each package
belong to its Maintainer), and you can't just go and upload a new
version of a package without his consent. I don't know if this applies
to the packages you want to touch (they may be orphaned or something,
in which case anyone uploading new revisions is OK), but I thought I'd
warn you.

> My first dude is how to manage package version of packages that are in
> Ubuntu but aren't in Debian.
> For instance, lets look package partitionmanager, its version in Ubuntu is
> 1.0.0~beta1a-0ubuntu2, where 1.0.0~beta1a is upstream version, -0 is Debian
> revision, which is cero becouse this package is not in Debian, and ubuntu2
> is the Ubuntu revision. I want to sync and merge this package from Ubuntu to
> Debian, but what version must I use for Debian?
> Should I use 1.0.0~beta1a-1 ignoring Ubuntu revision?

Yes, Debian doesn't care about Ubuntu's revisions.

Cheers,

Ubuntu Developer. Debian Contributor.