[Webmin-maintainers] Re: Debian package for Webmin

Jason Self jason.self at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 17:14:24 UTC 2006

I was so happy when I saw this message:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/webmin-maintainers/2006-April/000682.html

The state of Webmin/Usermin/Virtualmin on Debian is fairly sad, IMHO.
According to http://packages.debian.org/stable/admin/webmin the last
version of Webmin was 1.180 which is something like 1.5 years old.

There is no version in unstable or testing and, according to
http://packages.qa.debian.org/w/webmin.html "..the package is going to
disappear unless someone takes it over and reintroduces it into
unstable."

If it's something Jamie is interested in taking it over, I would be
filled with joy. I don't know if you're a registered Debian developer
or not Jamie, but you can become one. Go to the New Maintainers'
Corner page (http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint) to find out
how to apply for official developer status. You should be familiar
with Debian's procedures, so it is recommended to read the Debian
Policy (http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/) and the Developer's
Reference (http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/developers-reference/)
before applying.

I would love it if the Webmin/Usermin/Virtualmin/Etc packages could be
transferred to Jamie as the maintainer.
http://packages.qa.debian.org/w/webmin.html currently lists the
maintainer as webmin-maintainers at lists.alioth.debian.org with Jaldhar
H. Vyas (jaldhar at debian.org) as the co-maintainer.

According to an email I got from Jaldhar H. Vyas, he's no longer doing
absolutely anything with it. I think he should be removed if he's no
longer involved (so that people won't contact him), and I also think
it makes sense to have the package transferred to the responsibility
of Jamie Cameron (the upstream author) for the best possible
management. In this way, we could hope to see new releases uploaded
into unstable at the same time as the general release. :)

Also, there are various codes freezes coming up in preparation for the
Etch release.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/10/msg00004.html

With the impending release of Etch, I think it's important to get
Webmin into Testing so that it can be part of Etch stable.