[Webmin-maintainers] Re: Debian package for Webmin

Jamie Cameron jcameron at webmin.com
Sat Jul 1 17:50:56 UTC 2006

On 1/Jul/2006 12:14 Jason Self wrote ..
> I was so happy when I saw this message:
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/webmin-maintainers/2006-April/000682.html
>
> The state of Webmin/Usermin/Virtualmin on Debian is fairly sad, IMHO.
> According to http://packages.debian.org/stable/admin/webmin the last
> version of Webmin was 1.180 which is something like 1.5 years old.
>
> There is no version in unstable or testing and, according to
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/w/webmin.html "..the package is going to
> disappear unless someone takes it over and reintroduces it into
> unstable."
>
> If it's something Jamie is interested in taking it over, I would be
> filled with joy. I don't know if you're a registered Debian developer
> or not Jamie, but you can become one. Go to the New Maintainers'
> Corner page (http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint) to find out
> how to apply for official developer status. You should be familiar
> with Debian's procedures, so it is recommended to read the Debian
> Policy (http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/) and the Developer's
> Reference (http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/developers-reference/)
> before applying.
>
> I would love it if the Webmin/Usermin/Virtualmin/Etc packages could be
> transferred to Jamie as the maintainer.
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/w/webmin.html currently lists the
> maintainer as webmin-maintainers at lists.alioth.debian.org with Jaldhar
> H. Vyas (jaldhar at debian.org) as the co-maintainer.
>
> According to an email I got from Jaldhar H. Vyas, he's no longer doing
> absolutely anything with it. I think he should be removed if he's no
> longer involved (so that people won't contact him), and I also think
> it makes sense to have the package transferred to the responsibility
> of Jamie Cameron (the upstream author) for the best possible
> management. In this way, we could hope to see new releases uploaded
> into unstable at the same time as the general release. :)
>
> Also, there are various codes freezes coming up in preparation for the
> Etch release.
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/10/msg00004.html
>
> With the impending release of Etch, I think it's important to get
> Webmin into Testing so that it can be part of Etch stable.

I second this - it seems like the Webmin Debian package maintainers haven't
made too much progress lately, and I would be more than happy to take
over their role. At the very least, I will create my own Webmin package
for separate download, even if I can't get it added to the APT repository..

 - Jamie