[Yaird-devel] Re: Yaird and multiple IDE controllers

Wladimir Mutel mwg at mwg.dp.ua
Wed Dec 14 11:18:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:19:44AM +0100, Erik van Konijnenburg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [ Did you notice we have a <yaird-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org> now?
> Using that in future makes it easier for others to contribute to the discussion. ]

	Ok, I will use the list for further communications.

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 09:30:58AM +0200, Wladimir Mutel wrote:
> > 	When yaird creates initial rd/fs, it copies only Promise
> > 	driver there. Then on boot, Promise driver is loaded,
> > 	and immediately then - ide-generic is. When later VIA IDE
> > 	driver is probed (by udev), it says that resources are
> > 	already claimed by ide-generic, so making impossible
> > 	to use specific features of VIA IDE.
> >
> > 	So I would ask you, what workaround is the most clean/quick in
> > 	this case? Should I specify something in yaird command-line, or
> > 	in its configs ?
>
> In /etc/yaird/Default.cfg, add "MODULE via82cxxx" before the MOUNTDIR directive.
> (that is, I expect you're using via82cxxx, for VIA IDE, but to be sure
> verify this with lsmod)  That way via82cxxx is already loaded when ide-generic
> is loaded together with the promise driver for your root disk; this should
> cause the VIA chipset to be managed by the VIA driver rather than ide-generic.

	Thank you. Hope this would help me.

> > 	And also I would propose that yaird look not only in sysfs to
> > 	see what driver handles what hardware currently, but also in
> > 	lspci or in /proc/bus/pci/devices to get another idea on what
> > 	modules to load on boot. This could at least prevent too early
> > 	other cases.
>
> The problem is that they both provide the same information on the same
> subject, and I don't know how to handle the case where they would provide
> contradictory information.

	IDE module loading was and still is quite a challenging task.
	As I see, now most initrd/initramfs/livecd systems don't ever
	look into lspci, they just probe the whole list of ide modules
	and then ide-generic at the end, hoping to cover everything. So
	the system ends up with a pile of permanently-loaded IDE modules
	of which only 1 or 2 are really used. Yaird is a fresh project,
	and it may have a chance to improve this situation.