[Yaird-devel] Yaird and empty /dev/ on root FS

Wladimir Mutel mwg at mwg.dp.ua
Wed Dec 14 11:35:55 UTC 2005

	Hi,

	I have a sample Debian-unstable system and my own scripts to
	install it on various hardware by cloning
	(mkfs, tar c...|tar x..., set root pw, hostname,
	regenerate sshd keys, etc)

	After introduction of udev, my /dev stopped to be copied, as tar
	in my clone scripts did not traverse mount points. So once I
	created a system clone with empty /dev and then learned in
	painful way that there should be at least "null" and "console"
	files or else init would not start.

	I think it would be useful that Yaird enforce some requirements
	on initial /dev	content (f.e. report about missing null,
	console, whatever and offer user a way to create them). This
	would improve its survivability in some situations that are
	still unusual to it.

	Btw, I would appreciate if you direct me to the information on
	mandatory initial /dev content. May be I should just create them
	in cloned filesystem by my script.