[Yaird-devel] Re: initramfs generator selection

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Thu Dec 29 16:27:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 04:48:09PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> (Please do not CC me; I'm subscribed to all lists relevant here)
>
> On Thursday 29 December 2005 16:34, Sven Luther wrote:
> > I would have thought it the other way around, there is no reason to use
> > initramfs-tools for a new install, since we are then not upgrading from
> > 2.4 kernels.
>
> That is not a reason _not_ to use it.

Nope, general less maturity of klibc/initramfs-tools is though, but this i
have no hard data to prove, only a feeling due to the bug reports i see coming
on d-k, and i may be wrong. And like you mentioned you favour initramfs-tool,
i have long stated i prefer the yaird approach, so ...

> > The other issues are just bugs which needs to be fixed.
>
> While they are there, IMO they make yaird the less obvious choice for D-I.

Well, they would if similar bug didn't affect initramfs-tools ... mmm ... i
think i have a proposal which shall even convince you ...

What if we defaulted to yaird, we know that yaird, by design, will fail at
install time and not at boot time, and give an error message, which we can
grab and append to the log messages or whatever. Now, if we know that yaird
failed at install time, we just need to ask the user if he wants to fallback
on initramfs-tools or do so silently ? This way we have the better of both
worlds and everyone is happy, well it will still favour yaird, obviously, but
hey.

> > But really, my own feeling is that initramfs-tools is still in a less
> > mature state than yaird accross al architectures, not sure if this
> > really changed for 2.6.15 though.
>
> Can you give real arguments for that please?

you want that i give argument to explain my feeling, it is just that an
intuitive feeling :)

> Also, note that yaird _has_ been made the default for all architectures
> where initramfs-tools is not installable or unusable.

Yeah, but on x86 you default to initramfs-tools, and this one will see the
majority of the installations, but i didn't say "no way, don't do this", i
just offered you my feeling with regard to the non-maturity of initramfs-tools.

Friendly,

Sven Luther