[Yast4debian-devel] Yet another status report

Ramon Acedo ramon at linux-labs.net
Wed Jul 27 11:29:22 UTC 2005

Hi all, hallo zuzamen,

El mar, 26-07-2005 a las 15:04 +0200, Mario Fux escribió:
> Good morning together
>
> Open questions where I hope on some input from you:
> - are you (especially pikota and ciberosa) still interested?
On my side may be not so much in maintaining a web site (this is not
what I like the best ;-)

I think that we have not made an active group of people
working in a regular basis and (what is the most important thing in the
free software world) fully motivated yet.

Being realistic I can collaborate with Pikota (and whoever else willing
to help) and help him in coding, testing, translating and keeping
concordance with how things work in free software (documentation,
patches, revision systems, etc.).

> - what do you (all) think in generally about it?
Having a nice site is very positive but having stuff to ready download
(packages, patches, original sources, svn/cvs) is more important IMHO.

> 3. sourcecode of the patches:
> -- we have several patches for yast2
But for an old version, we should review them.

http://yast4debian.alioth.debian.org/ftp/patch/

> - do we new a svn/cvs repository?

Not still. We probably should use the SuSE's one if they have any, do
you have guys? and just maintain patches and packages. What do you
think?

> 4. information to the outsite:
> - what should i write?
Probably the real status of the project and the needs it has. Where?
it would be interesting to prepare a text and try to send it to some
mailing list and weblogs, I could translate it into Spanish and, I was
about to say into German as well but Mario will find it easier ;-)

> 5.3. Attract more developer and tester
>
> Where I think that 5.3. is the most importent item but depends on the other
> two.
I agree, maybe it depends on making an attractive marketing campaing,
explainining why YaST can benefit to Debian/Ubuntu users and what can
imply making YaST a "multi-distro" tool.

Kind regards,

Ramon