[Yast4debian-devel] First YaST2 module working on Debian

Stanislav Visnovsky visnovsky@nenya.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:37:54 +0200

D=C5=88a Piatok 18 Marec 2005 11:46 Ramon Acedo nap=C3=ADsal:
> Hi all,
>
> thanks to pikota's effort and will we already have a module
> working under Debian. The first module we thought that should
> work without many problems was the users module and it's finally
> working.
>
> I attach a screenshot of it.

Looks great. Do you have a patch for the original sources to see needed=20
changes?

> Next steps:
>
> - Package it and create a repository in alioth. Creating a repository
>   is not a problem but packaging it correctly would be better done by
>   Jaldhar or any DD willing to help.
>
> - Update the documentation. Me and Jose Luis will do it in the next
>   days.
>
> - Do the same with the QT libraries (right now we have tried out only
>   with ncurses but pikota got QT working last week).
>
> - Upload some screenshots to the website. Mario?
>
> - Think about which module would be more attractive to people and start
>   working on it (everyone of us :-).
>
> Future steps:
>
> - Remove all the rpm stuff and use libapt instead.
>
> Personally I think that configuring the network with YaST4Debian would
> be very useful as right now, apart from the gnome system tools, there
> are no many apps out there, are there? then working on yast2-network
> makes sense for me. Any other suggestions?

yast2-network might not be a good choice. Basically, SUSE uses a very own=20
system to configure network devices. I don't know if anything similar is=20
available on Debian.=20

Also, yast2-network is one of the most complicated modules in YaST, especia=
lly=20
with support for all kind of different hardware platforms (like devices on=
=20
S/390)

IMO look at the sound configuration module if you are looking for a hardwar=
e=20
modules, or inetd/runlevel editors.

> BTW, the translation modules work perfectly as well.

Good to hear as well.

Stano