[3dprinter-general] Packaging style

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Wed Jan 22 23:30:24 UTC 2014

Hi again,

So I promised another mail.  Here it is.  It's about packaging style.

To make all packages easily maintainable by everyone, I suggest we use
some common procedures for all our packages.  These are only guidelines;
any package may have reasons to do things in a different way.  But in
the absence of other reasons, I propose the following:

1. Use debhelper.
2. Use dh in debian/rules, to keep it short and clean.
3. debian/rules clean should remove or restore *ALL* files that were
changed or generated.  There is exactly one exception to this (apart
from package specific requirements): translators need the
debian/po/templates.pot.  This is a generated file, but it must be
present in the source package to make life easy for them.  So it must be
generated in the clean target, after removing all generated files.
(This only applies to packages which use debconf templates.)
4. *Everything* should be built from source.  That means using
dh --with dh_autoreconf if the package uses autotools.  Just replacing
config.guess and config.sub is not sufficient (many packages do this,
but I believe this is wrong).

If you have comments, or other suggestions to make sure our packages are
uniform, please reply.

Thanks,
Bas