[axel-devel] [axel at HP-UX] Make: Must be a separator on rules line...

Philipp Hagemeister phihag at phihag.de
Tue Jan 5 17:34:21 UTC 2010

Hi Ciro,

I'm sorry but I don't have access to any HP UX machine right now(and
won't for a week), so we have to settle this via debugging by mail.
Afaik, there's no easy way to try out HP UX. Am I right or is there a
way I can get an installation image or shell access for a couple of
Euros or free?
Apart from that, the problem is probably an old make. Can you tell me
the output of
make --version  ?

Things I'd try:

* Add round brackets for the ifdef, i.e. replace
ifdef I18N
with
ifdef (I18N)

* Indent the content of the ifdef.

* Merge the targets that are extended in the ifdef, i.e. replace
---------------
all: $(OUTFILE)
install: install-bin install-etc install-man
uninstall: uninstall-bin uninstall-etc uninstall-man

ifdef I18N
all: $(MOFILES)
install: install-i18n
uninstall: uninstall-i18n
endif
---------------
with
---------------
ifdef (I18N)
	all: $(OUTFILE) $(MOFILES)
	install: install-bin install-etc install-man install-i18n
	uninstall: uninstall-bin uninstall-etc uninstall-man  uninstall-i18n
else
	all: $(OUTFILE)
	install: install-bin install-etc install-man
	uninstall: uninstall-bin uninstall-etc uninstall-man
endif
now until March. I'll see to it that I can close your bugs and answer
your questions, maybe sporadically, but steadily.

Philipp