[axel-devel] Adding openssl (client) support

otheus uibk otheus.uibk at gmail.com
Sun May 10 08:15:35 UTC 2015

Hello.  Yes, I know this is a quasi dead project. But some guy posted a
help message on serverfault (stackexchange) that he really likes axel
because for some very obscure reason, the net throughput of file transfers
from his home link to some server somewhere increases 8-fold by creating
multiple connections to the same server. (I suppose there's some latency
issue or a connection limiter somewhere along the way.) He's downloading
very large files often enough that he's actually concerned about file
corruption. He's downloading over a TB of data per year, meaning that
during that year, he might actually have 10 errors, which could be bad
enough. (IP4 + TCP do indeed have a non-zero possibility that a 64k byte
packet will have undetected corruption errors, I was shocked to learn.)

If there's any chance in resurrecting this project, I think adding the code
to support the https connection string and handing off the connection to
the openssl library wouldn't be that difficult. Hell, I'd like to try it.

However, LOL I don't think I can use SVN anymore. It's all git these days.
So, first order of business: move the project to github?

Reference:

See
http://serverfault.com/questions/690878/best-solution-to-transfer-data-between-servers

--