[Babel-users] babel-rtt and babels branch status(es)?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 15:23:01 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek
<jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> You'll be glad to know that I've just finished the most difficult part
> of the year (the December exam session combined with some very intensive
> (unpaid) administrative work), so I should have time for fun stuff soon.
>
>> I am curious as to the current state of these branches.
>
> 1. babel-rtt
> ************
>
> Baptiste recently changed the packet format, and I believe that the
> code is ready to be merged.  The draft is not quite ready, but the
> principles are well described in Baptiste's report.  Unless something
> goes wrong, I'm planning to merge it within a couple weeks.

I had tried to make an eloquent argument for supporting very tiny
fractions of a second.

> 2. babels
> *********
>
> This is much more complex.  There's a lot of subtle interactions.

No kidding! "but it's a helluva start, it could be made into a monster
if we all pull together as a teammm...."

/me ducks

> There are some minor limitations -- routes inserted by another deamon
> are not disambiguated properly.

I think a clean concept in the kernel was desperately needed, and what
needs to happen next are bringing some things like strongswan/openvpn
etc into the fold. Or "some other" routing daemon made to co-exist.

Thus far I haven't been able to get strongswan to play ball with me
using the table lookup method.

>I haven't checked the state of the
> documentation recently, but the principles are well described in a top
> secret paper that Matthieu recently submitted for publication.
>
> No ETA for merging.

Well, having one branch rather than two (RTT in mainline, babels with
RTT also) would be nice.

I have added the additional features into cero's branch and am working
on making it work under procd.

I am sore tempted to add direct support for the ubus/uci for configuration.

--
Dave Täht