[Debian-eeepc-devel] Root filesystem not cleanly unmounted...

Delbert Franz ddf at iqdotdt.com
Tue Apr 1 18:13:21 UTC 2008

> > installed Lenny on an SD card in the SD slot.
> > That works well, and a 16 GB SDHC card
>
> Same here
>
> > One pernicious problem occurs however.  On shutdown, something
> > is preventing the proper shutdown of the root filesystem.
>
> I have never seen this on my machine. In the forums on eeeuser.com
> you find a lot of users having problems with the card reader, though.
>
> Robert

Thanks for the info, Robert.  This implied that there might be
a software issue.  I did get some cryptic message about a problem
with usb 1-2 right at boot up but the boot always went well.

Anyway, I downloaded the latest custom installer, installed the
basic system on a spare 2 GB SD card and there was no problem
with an unclean root file system!  This was progress!  This suggested
that a dist-upgrade, to get the 2.6.24 kernel, might solve my problem:)

Therefore, I did an aptitude dist-upgrade on my existing SD card and
something in the newer kernel eliminated the message about the
usb 1-2 problem and now I also get the message: "Filesystem clean"
when I boot.

My installer was from late February or early March and the kernel was still
at 2.6.22...  I had done safe-upgrades but not in the last
week or so.  Great to have this annoyance solved this easily.

Delbert