[Debian-eeepc-devel] Acpi hotket/button events

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 22 16:35:04 UTC 2010

I demand that Luca Niccoli may or may not have written...

> I have problems understanding this code in /etc/acpi/action/hotkeys.sh:

> acpi=
> acpiwrite=
> ACPITEST=/lib/init/rw/eeepc-acpi-scripts.acpi-ignore
> case "$code" in
>     # Soft buttons 3 & 4 and Fn-Space/SHE are special.
>     # They're always reported as hotkeys.
>     # This will probably break when button events are added for these keys.
>     0000001[cd]|00000039)
> 	;;
>     *)
> 	if test -f "$ACPITEST"; then
> 	    read acpi <"$ACPITEST"
> 	else
> 	    acpiwrite=$(test "x$1" = x- && echo hotkey || echo -)
> 	fi
> 	test "$1" = "$acpi" && exit 0
> 	;;
> esac

> I don't understand the comment too; with linux 2.6.33 acpi_listen tells me
> that none of my hotkeys generates a button event (most do on 2.6.32), but
> eeepc-acpi-scripts works well anyway. Why aren't we just listening for
> hotkeys instead of buttons?

It's what needed to be done at the time to get these working. IIRC, it
depended on whether you were installing a squeeze or sid kernel or building
your own.

> Are there models that generate only button events?

Not of which I'm aware. (I get both, even for buttons 3 and 4.)

Anyway, any removal of handling of hotkey events is, I think, best not done
before squeeze is released (consider those who want to use lenny+backports),
though I see no reason not to do this on a branch now.

--
| Darren Salt            | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Toon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds    ,demon,co,uk    | Northumberland | Army
| + They're after you...

I hear what you're saying but I just don't care.