[Debian-eeepc-devel] I've been having trouble booting wheezy on my ASUS 1000HE.

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Fri May 25 12:50:06 UTC 2012

On 05/25/2012 09:26 AM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> How do I find out whether I'm disabling KMS?  There seems to be no mentino
> of KMS in my static boot stanzas (I'm using old grub 1):
>
> for the current kernel, that fails:

It wouldn't necessarily be in grub. Check /etc/modprobe.d/ and make sure
you don't have anything that turns modeset *off*.

> Indeed, I was.  Not I have it, but there's no improvement.

Sounds like you have an xorg.conf that explicitly uses the wrong input
driver(s) then. Please check xorg.conf (and/or /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*).

>> I'm not sure why the problems appear to you be related to the kernel.
>
> Because booting an old kernel works, whereas a new one doesn't.

This is not what I meant. I understand what you are observing, I'm not
sure why what is to me almost certainly Xorg-related masquerades as a
kernel problem (but what I said below probably has something to do with it).

>> It
>> sounds to me much more likely that they are Xorg-related. That being
>> said, modern Xorg and kernel work in close concert with each other so
>> that a mismatch in versions and/or packages installed can lead to
>> strange behaviours such as you reported.
>
> I regularly do aptitude safe-upgrade.  I'm worried that the regularly
> upgraded xorg will stop working with the kernel that I'm actually using.

In fact, you ought to be able to get away without any xorg.conf now. It
may just be that you had stuff in there that worked back when kernel +
Xorg used different drivers, but now don't work with new kernel + drivers.

> I suppose I should try a single-user boot sometime.  See if the keyboard
> is still unresponsive without X.

Given that I had exactly the same problem myself (and found it was
because I hadn't observed when an upgrade removed -evdev ... oops!) and
it was fixed by installing -evdev (and in your case, should be
accompanied by a review of xorg.conf) I am strongly betting you will
find it works fine without X.

Ben