[Debian-ha-maintainers] Should we start corosync-notifyd by default?

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Tue Sep 1 09:42:22 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm pondering whether starting corosync-notifyd by default on
installation makes much sense after all.  SNMP mode needs configuration,
so that's out of question.  Log mode just repeats the same info which
corosync itself writes already (although in a more readable form).  DBus
mode, I don't know -- are there any users of that?

In a similar vein, is START=[yes|no] in the default files really useful?
Why not ship a disabled init script and systemd unit instead?  This also
hurts corosync, which in all current masters is shipped with START=no,
which prevents starting it with SysV init only, not with systemd.  The
systemd maintainers implemented SysV init synchronization, I think we
should take advantage of that, not work against.  On the other hand,
starting corosync with the default configuration does not do any harm,
AFAIK.  We could just let it start by default, the admin will
reconfigure and restart it.  Not like corosync-notifyd, which is
probably superfluous in most cases.

Opinions, insights welcome.
--
Thanks,