[Debian-ha-maintainers] Freeze status, Heartbeat plans

Patrick Matthäi pmatthaei at debian.org
Wed Dec 21 12:15:12 UTC 2016

Am 21.12.2016 um 11:50 schrieb Christoph Berg:
> Re: Valentin Vidic 2016-12-20 <20161220134034.grvwdktsmtbijws4 at gavran.carpriv.carnet.hr>
>> And if there are big issues with systemd support I think there would be
>> more bug reports for the jessie version of this package already?
> It might be that with the previously poor state of HA in Jessie, users
> aren't really reporting issues of that kind anymore :(
>
> I guess the basic question is if we want to continue to ship&support
> heartbeat, or if that ship has sailed and we simply drop it.
>
> There are still users of the "simple" v1 mode. I'd assume they know
> that for anything more complex they should switch to
> corosync+pacemaker, so the question would be how much of the v1 mode
> is still working. If the "average" case is broken on systemd systems,
> we should fix or remove heartbeat. If the average case still works, we
> can continue to ship it.
>
> Patrick, what's your position here?
>
> The drbd/fs/ip/apache example shown in the serverfault question looks
> simple enough. Maybe someone could try a test setup?
>
> Christoph

We tried out many test cases, workarounds, debugging on this issue and
the result was, that the v1 mode of heartbeat can not deal with the
dependency system of systemd and will never support it.

Unfortunately I also do not have the logs from IRC anymore and no time
until the next freeze step to provide this setup again :/

I still think, this is the best solution (since only v1 mode is affected):
"IMO the package should warn (debconf dialog prio high?) the user if he
upgrades heartbeat and systemd+v1 config is in use."

Removing the whole heartbeat package would not be a good solution, since
it is still required?

--
/*
Mit freundlichem Gruß / With kind regards,

  Blog: http://www.linux-dev.org/
E-Mail: pmatthaei at debian.org
        patrick at linux-dev.org
*/