[Debian-in-workers] Re: Punjabi fonts insallation

Christian Perrier bubulle@kheops.frmug.org
Sun, 22 May 2005 19:31:23 +0200

Quoting Amanpreet Singh Alam (amanpreetalam@yahoo.com):
> Hi Perrier,
>=20
> I m Punjabi Translator, I have a litte problem about
> debian, which i want to check with you!
>=20
> 1-> during installation, I select Punjabi Langauge,
> there is no fonts, installation is continue with that,
> download from
> http://people.debian.org/~bubulle/d-i/alllangs.iso

Well, this was aimed to be a rough demo and for sure not working for
Punjabi and.or Hindi for which we will need to have a graphical
installer (including GTK and Pango, IIRC) to handle character combination=
.

>=20
> 2> after complete installation, (means a select),
> Gnome starts, Punjabi language is default select, (i
> did nothing, just startx). Punjabi Fonts are not
> installed, So, My idea is  that if some one install
> with a Language, the that Language font should be by
> default installed (user should not need to worry to
> install fonts later)

That's the job of the tasksel package. But there is currently not task
for Punjabi (nor Hindi, by the way). Of course, one of the goals of
these "language" tasks is exactly what you describe=A0: install packages
needed to support that language.

What we need to determine (and we will need you for that), is what
font package is/are required to properly support Punjabi.

I have a few font packages installed on my own system and IIRC, Hindi
displays well. This should probably be discussed in the
debian-in-workers mailing list, which I CC to this answer. You should
probably subscribe to this list (may someone remind the subscription
method?). It is currently very low traffic....but if interest
increases, through the installer work, for the support of languages of
India, the list may revive.

>=20
> 3> there are many Punjab Fonts are insalled, but
> Default should be "Lohit", which is best in my
> thinking, as they are able to print
>=20
> if anything from my team required then please ask me
> to do.
>=20
> (Overall, I m really satisfy with system, although
> installion is totally fonts less, Can u please help me
> how i can graphical insallation interface? that will
> be great)

The graphical installer is under work. Don't expect anything before a
few months, though. The development list is the Debian Installer
development list (debian-boot@lists.debian.org).