[Debian-l10n-devel] Thoughts about DDTP (Was: Number of requests for DDTP)

Michael Bramer grisu at deb-support.de
Sun Jul 31 21:16:42 UTC 2011

On 07/31/2011 01:44 PM, Martijn van O wrote:
> On 31 July 2011 09:57, Aron Xu<aron at debian.org>  wrote:
>> Then we come to the topic about some detailed designs, and why Pootle
>> discourages people. Translators can be roughly divided into two
>> categories: long-term contributors and random ones. They both need to
>> have the ability to "submit" translations to who can review their
>> translations, not just "suggest". Suggesting translations on a
>> translation platform is always about to be ignored by others, and
>> this is why Pootle does not work well. What they need is to "submit",
>
> Indeed, I've always wondered about the difference between "submitting"
> and "suggesting". It seems the same to me. That's why I always
> preferred the model: anyone can submit, anyone can review and make
> improvements, you just need to provide good controls on what is
> accepted. AFAICT what people suggest are really just more restricted
> versions of this.

In the ddtp the difference between submitting and suggesting is:

submitting:
-----------

The 'member' of the DDTP translate/review a description. The normal
know process...

suggestion:

A random user/third party (like lunchpad) make something like a bug
report for a translation.

The suggestion is for user, that don't even know DDTP, the word list,
the rules etc.

The 'member' of the DDTP can merge the suggestion to the DDTP or
delete it.

You get the point?

Gruss
Grisu