[Debian-med-packaging] Praat 5.1.39

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Sun Jul 11 12:55:36 UTC 2010

Hi Paul,

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 10:48:11AM +0200, Paul Boersma wrote:
> my name is Paul Boersma, and I am the author of the Praat program.

Thanks for contacting us.  We really like to maintain close relations
to upstream developers.

> As of version 5.1.39, we compile and link Praat with GTK rather than
> with Motif. Although we call this a Praat beta version for GTK, we think
> it is already better than the Lesstif edition (it supports Unicode, for
> instance).

I noticed that you also applied at least two patches from the Debian
package.  When I moved the package to Debian Med group maintenance and
builded the package I should have checked whether the former maintainer
might have had forewarded these patches (which was probably not the case
because I guess you would have applied these in earlier versions.

I have to admit that I have no idea about the last remaining patch [1]
which seems to have added some ectra functionality to praat.  This patch
does not apply any more and I wonder what you might think about this. I
do not use praat personally and do not have any idea whether this should
be included again or not.  Your opinion would be very highly regarded.

> Therefore, it will be nice if your Praat package builds with GTK rather
> than with Lesstif from now on.

For the move from Motif to GTK:  I personally do really welcome this
move to a more modern toolkit.  However I might need some advise how
to force the use of this.  If I do not change the build system but
simply leave out the lesstif2-dev build dependency I get:

gcc -std=gnu99 -DUNIX -Dlinux -I /usr/local/include -I /usr/X11R6/include -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wunused -Wunused-parameter -Wuninitialized -O -I ../num -I ../sys -I ../dwsys -I ../kar -I ../audio -I ../audio/FLAC -I ../audio/mp3   -c -o melder.o melder.c
In file included from melder.c:69:
Gui.h:79:21: error: Xm/Xm.h: No such file or directory

So I would really like to follow your suggestion but some help is
needed.

> Thanks for providing this service.

Thanks for providing praat as Free Software.  BTW, if you have some basic
knowledge about Debian packaging and would like to tweak the build system
yourself in out Git repository I could easily grant you write permissions.
A patch would be welcome as well.

Kind regards

    Andreas.

[1] http://git.debian.org/?p=debian-med/praat.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/output-bandwidth-listing.patch;h=5f81f23f743d56258a7ec5278987fc4dfae7ea8c;hb=HEAD