[Debian-med-packaging] Running test suite [Was: r7382 - trunk/packages/mafft/trunk/debian]

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Fri Aug 5 06:19:09 UTC 2011

Le Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 08:10:13AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> Hi Charles,
>
> I'm in all favour of running test suites.  Could you please be more
> verbose why you prefered override_dh_install over override_dh_auto_test?
> Is anything wrong with the previosely choosen method?

Hi Andreas,

first I noticed that there was something wrong with the tests, that were ran
before the binaries were built, so I moved them in override_dh_install.

Then I realised that the cause of this morning's reported bug was that the
binaries were built during override_dh_install, instead of during
override_dh_autobuild, because it was mistyped override_dh_build.

After fixing that, I could have moved again the tests from override_dh_install
to override_dh_auto_test, but I forgot ;)

By the way, I find the timing of that bug report very intersting: basically, the
package in Sid and Wheezy was broken for a long time with nobody realising.  It
suggests that most of this packages users are using Stable, and that we can not
expect much user testing, in particular in the 10 day window for Testing transition.

We really need tests in the packages that do not have some, even minimal ones
like printing the help message.  That could be a recommendation in our policy.
Buy perhaps DEP 8 will provide a nice framework without us reinventing the
wheel.

Cheers,

--
Charles