[Debian-med-packaging] Debian Med! (Was: Debian Med?)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Aug 10 07:45:13 UTC 2012

Hi Michael,

I'd like to give some update from my side to Steffens mail below.  The
Debian Med team tries to do open conversation (in contrast to private
discussion with long CC list).  I have some record of prefering this
policy over netiquette after having checked that there is no private
content in the mails - I hope nobody of the posters below will mind if I
entertain this habit again here.

As a general hint I would (strongly) advise to read the Debian Med policy
document

    http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html

which patiently explains what mailing lists to subscribe and how to
become a member of the alioth team which is finally what you want to
join if you want to touch packages like tophat and qiime (as Steffen
wrote as well).  Working for Ubuntu is fine but we established a
workflow which fixes problems at the root which lastly is Debian.  If
you need some more detailed introduction feel free to ping me about
Mentoring of Month

    https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM

(some time of August is left and it seems you just have some packaging
skills so this might fit.)

Specifically regarding Qiime:  I just fixed two bugs reported by Charles
in Debian unstable recently (Mon, 06 Aug 2012).  You are well advised to
consider these changes because I'm not sure how fast these changes might
proceede to Ubuntu and you probably do not want to spend your time on
outdated packaging code (did I said that we are fixing problems at the
root?)

If you have further questions feel free to ask.

Kind regards and thanks for your interest in Debian Med

      Andreas.