[Debian-med-packaging] Debian Med! (Was: Debian Med?)

Steffen Möller steffen_moeller at gmx.de
Fri Aug 10 12:28:44 UTC 2012

Hello,

On 08/10/2012 02:16 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 12:59:40PM +0100, Tim Booth wrote:
>> There are few outright incompatibilities but there are a few things that
>> matter for Ubuntu but not for Debian and vice versa - for example I've
>> been tweaking various .desktop files to work nicely in the Unity
>> environment (eg for ARB).
> I have no idea whether there are incompatibilities between .desktop
> files between Debian and Unity.  As far as I know there is just a
> freedesktop.org standard and a .desktop files should simply follow this.
> In case you consider Debian ignorant about .desktop files this is wrong
> - we also would like to have these.
_I_ am mostly ignorant about .desktop files. Good you are around, since
I love them when they are there :o)

>> I've not committed anything back to SVN yet
>> as I know Unity isn't a specific issue for Debian but I will, so as to
>> keep everything neat.
>> On the other hand, I think Debian still wants me to provide entries
>> under /etc/menu which I'd not normally bother with for an Ubuntu
>> package.
> I admit that having something to feed dh_menu with is written in policy
> but I can not imagine that this would harm Ubuntu.  In case it would a
> lot of Debian packages would have a problem.  So I personally would not
> see any need for changing something just because a menu entry is there
> (users are free to ignore and as far as I know Unity will do this for
> your users anyway).
There are quite a few packages around having both .desktop and menu
files. Please let it all fly in. From what I recall, having one such
description of what should go into the menu can be transformed easily
into the other format. You do not need to do that yourself. It would be
a neat invite for some newbie to join forces and save your time on this.

Cheers,

Steffen