[Debian-med-packaging] Qiime building.

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Tue Aug 14 17:24:40 UTC 2012

Hi Michael,

I'm still waiting for a few things to build but I've basically gathered
all the Qiime essentials, built for Precise, in the new Bio-Linux PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~nebc/+archive/bio-linux/+packages

On my test machine the result of "qiime print_qiime_config" is now:

System information
==================
         Platform:	linux2
   Python version:	2.7.3 (default, Aug  1 2012, 05:14:39)  [GCC 4.6.3]
Python executable:	/usr/bin/python

Dependency versions
===================
                     PyCogent version:	1.5.1
                        NumPy version:	1.6.1
                   matplotlib version:	1.1.1rc
                  biom-format version:	1.0.0c
                QIIME library version:	1.5.0
                 QIIME script version:	1.5.0
        PyNAST version (if installed):	1.1
RDP Classifier version (if installed):	rdp_classifier.jar

QIIME config values
===================
                     blastmat_dir:	/usr/share/ncbi/data
                    jobs_to_start:	1
pynast_template_alignment_blastdb:	None
                qiime_scripts_dir:	/usr/lib/qiime/bin/
   template_alignment_lanemask_fp:	None
                      working_dir:	.
     pynast_template_alignment_fp:	None
                    python_exe_fp:	python
                         temp_dir:	/tmp
                      blastall_fp:	blastall
                 seconds_to_sleep:	60
                  cluster_jobs_fp:	None

As for the self-tests, I get 13 failures but not all of these actually need to be fixed.
In general, if Qiime doesn't work with, say, the standard R version, the preferred fix
would be to patch Qiime rather than to bundle the legacy R if at all possible.
Also, the latest version of Qiime has added several new tools which are not yet packaged.

matplotlib is not quite the right version (wontfix)
ParsInsert is missing (*)
R is 2.14 not 2.12 (wontfix)
blast is 2.2.25 not 2.2.22 (wontfix)
clearcut is missing (*)
cluster_jobs_fp not set up (you need to do this for your cluster)
mothur is missing (rebuilding it just now)
numpy is not 1.5.1 (won't fix)
pplacer is missing (*)
python is 2.7.3 not 2.7.2 (won't fix)
raxmlHPC is missing
rtax is missing (*)
uclust is missing (needs manual install due to non-free-ness)
usearch is missing (I thought there was a package for this somewhere ??)

* = ParsInsert is a new dependency.  Could be a packaging job if you
fancy having a crack at it?  Same may be true of clearcut, pplacer,
rtax, and raxmlHPC.

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England