[Debian-med-packaging] Question about proper archive area for packages that require big data for operation

Laszlo Kajan lkajan at rostlab.org
Wed Apr 24 14:02:44 UTC 2013

Hello Didier!

On 24/04/13 09:32, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Le mardi, 23 avril 2013 12.23:23, Andreas Tille a écrit :
>> I would even go that far that it might make sense to package these data
>> and upload it to demonstrate that we should *really* create a solution
>> for such cases if they will increase in the number and size of data
>> packages.
>
> Isn't that what data.debian.org is supposed to be(come) ?
>
> 	* http://ftp-master.debian.org/wiki/projects/data/
> 	* http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/09/msg00692.html

Thanks for pointing this out, I didn't know about this. This would work very well for the 'metastudent' (and other of the same kind) data. A
policy change (point 'We need to change policy.' of [1]) could be initiated, as Russ Allbery noted before [2]. But - data.debian.org does not
(yet) exist, does it?

[1] http://ftp-master.debian.org/wiki/projects/data/
[2] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-med-packaging/2013-April/019320.html

Laszlo