[Debian-med-packaging] uc-echo: build-dep on g++-multilib

Roland Stigge stigge at debian.org
Sun Apr 28 13:11:13 UTC 2013

Hi Thorsten and Charles, hi all,

thank you two for your insightful comments!

On 28/04/13 00:18, Charles Plessy wrote:
> my experience with programs related to high-throughput "next generation"
> sequencers is that they are developed and tested only on amd64. On the other
> plaforms, sometimes they will work by chance, sometimes they will fail to
> compile, and sometimes they will give wrong results.  I wouldn't invest much of
> my time porting them unless there is a serious competitor to the amd64 platform
> for bioinformatics computing.

In this case, I propose to narrow the "Architecture:" of the binary
package of uc-echo (and others where your analysis applies) to "amd64".
Otherwise the package pops up in the porter's world and people wonder
why it doesn't build while with "Architecture: any" it is officially
supposed to do so.

In my uc-echo / powerpcspe case, it was easy to make it build (build-dep
and removing -m64). But if you are sure that this doesn't make sense
binary-codewise and RAM-allocation-wise, would you please narrow it to
64-bit platforms where it is supposed to work? Or at least add a comment
in some README of the respective package so porters can grasp the
situation easily without putting much energy into porting?

Thanks in advance,

Roland