[Debian-med-packaging] SQLAlchemy 0.9.X in unstable

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sun Feb 23 16:37:54 UTC 2014

CC-ing the release team, since I think you should have coordinate with
them here.

On 02/23/2014 11:58 PM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I just uploaded sqlalchemy 0.9.3 to unstable

Noooooooooooooooooooooo !!!

Man, this is a COMPLETE DISASTER for me. Don't do this again without any
coordination!

This *will* break about everything in OpenStack. I'm just recovering
from the last upload of SQLAlchemy 0.8.x which you did last July without
any coordination, yet you're doing it again. It took about 7 months for
upstream to do the switch, and during a full release cycle, I had lots
and lots of troubles.

> (0.9.1 and 0.9.2 was only
> in experimental). I've set urgency to low to give it a bit more time
> before if migrates to testing.

I would also submit a RC bug against it, because this needs a
transition, and preferably managed by the release team.

> Please check if your package works fine with 0.9 and let me know if it doesn't.

I'm letting you know. You have just broke:

- ceilometer
- cinder
- glance
- heat
- keystone
- neutron
- nova
- trove
- taskflow

Plus those not released yet but already packaged on Alioth, but which I
was planning on uploading "soon":

- ironic
- tuskar
- designate

All of the above is using SQLA 0.8.x, and upstream isn't planning on
doing the switch to 0.9.x before next April at least (schedule release
of Icehouse).

Are you going to help patching the upstream code for them? I don't think
so... :(

Note that OpenStack Icehouse will be in feature freeze early next month,
and that I don't think I can ask for an upgrade of everything to
SQLAlchemy 0.9. If you were doing this at the beginning of a release
cycle (which happens every 6 months), maybe that could be accepted
upstream, but not like this, just before the feature freeze.

> If the dependency on python-sqlalchemy was generated by dh_python2, you
> already have "python-sqlalchemy (<< 0.9)" in Depends. If your package
> works fine with 0.9.X, just rebuild it with the one in unstable -
> dh_python2 will generate "<< 0.10"

That's realistically going to break everything, and rebuilding will not
fix anything. I haven't checked yet, but I know upstream did in the CI,
and it broke. Also, sqlalchemy-migrate doesn't currently work with SQLA
0.9. See upstream working on it:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/66156/

I don't think it's reasonable to upload SQLA if SQLA-migrate doesn't
support version 0.9.x.

> Migration notes:
> * http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_0_9/changelog/migration_09.html or
> * /usr/share/doc/python-sqlalchemy-doc/rst/changelog/migration_09.txt or
> * /usr/share/doc/python-sqlalchemy-doc/html/changelog/migration_09.html

The issues I'm talking about will not simply be fixed by reading the
above. The procedure to get things fixed in OpenStack are long, and
probably will not be workable before the next release.

Please revert this upload immediately (with an EPOC) and until other
packages have reasonable upstream support for it.

Thomas Goirand (zigo)