[Debian-med-packaging] Please allow relicensing for older versions of two single files from PHYLIP

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Wed Feb 26 18:42:32 UTC 2014

Manolo Gouy --

> As far as seaview is concerned, all input/output is done by seaview, so gets() calls
> from PHYLIP are absent in seaview's files dnapars.c and protpars.c, that are DERIVED
> from PHYLIP, not exactly PHYLIP's versions.
> The changes consist exclusively in doing all I/O in seaview and doing all parsimony
> computations, without any modification whatsoever, using PHYLIP code.
> I'll try to update those files to the last PHYLIP version, but this requires careful work
> to locate exactly what data structure can be exchanged between PHYLIP and seaview.

If the copies of Dnapars and Protpars are not called directly by
the user, there is probably no danger of buffer overflow.   I will
work on changing the license, but in addition to the relicensed
copies you will then have, there are copies of 3.5c downloadable from
my site.  I would hope that no one is making new downloads
of them, in view of the security hole that they have.

Joe
----
Joe Felsenstein         joe at gs.washington.edu