[Debian-med-packaging] plip_1.1.0-1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Alex Mestiashvili alex at biotec.tu-dresden.de
Wed Aug 19 08:47:48 UTC 2015

Hi Thorsten and Andreas,

On 08/02/2015 11:31 AM, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2015, Andreas Tille wrote:

>>> yes, but that is still a restriction.
>>
>> And what item of the DFSG is in conflict?

I think this thread [0] can shed more light on the problem with pdb
files license.

> the license says that if I modify the data file, I need to rename it.

this is due to the way the files are named. pdb names are permanently
associated with a single structure  [1].

> But I am also not allowed to use any other filename that is already on
> the FTP server (my modified file would be also a modified version of
> any other data file on the server). So even if I choose a filename
> that is allowed today it might be illegal some time in the future,
> after new data with "my" filename appear on the FTP server.

this will not happen because "Once a PDB code is assigned to a given
structure, it's forever, even in those cases when a structure is
withdrawn (retired from the database),or superceded by a newer or
corrected structure"  [1].

> Anyway, it also fails the desert island test as the castaway is not
> able to check whether his new filename is a legal one. So, although
> stated otherwise, this seems to be against DFSG#3.
>
>  Thorsten

Alternatively I can simply remove the tests from the package, but I
think we should find a solution with the pdb files, which are not
uncommon in the scientific software.

Thank you,
Alex

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2011/09/msg00043.html