[Debian-med-packaging] Should old tabix explicitly be removed from pool?

Charles Plessy charles-listes-med-packaging at plessy.org
Tue Jan 26 12:58:26 UTC 2016

Le Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 12:22:42PM +0100, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> $ apt-cache showsrc tabix | grep -e ^Package: -e ^Version -e ^Binary:
> Package: htslib
> Binary: libhts1, libhts-dev, htslib-test, tabix
> Version: 1.2.1-2
> Package: tabix
> Binary: tabix
> Version: 0.2.6-2
>
> I'm not sure whether this has further side effects rather than a strange
> version output on the tasks pages but I guess it would be better to
> remove the tabix source package.  My guess is that the old tabix source
> builds on some more architectures and thus is conserved there but I
> doubt that this leads to any good.

Hi Andreas,

I agree that the tabix source package can be removed.  This will remove the
tabix binary package in the release architectures armhf mips powerpc s390x,
where the htslib does not build.  If there are people serious about using tabix
on these architectures, I would suggest to focus efforts on building the htslib
itself, because users of tabix generally need htslib/samtools anyway.

Have a nice day,

Charles

--
Charles Plessy