[Debian-med-packaging] Sponsoring many uploads

Mattia Rizzolo mattia at debian.org
Thu Mar 17 21:16:17 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 08:17:04PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 05:28:12PM +0000, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> For me more importantly it has the effect that our team RFS just end up
> in the huge amount of other RFS.

it's not a huge amount nowadays: right now thare are only 2 non-ITP RFS.
sadly ITPs are more difficult to handle, and there are even less people
willing to sponsor them (I, for one, generally refuse to sponsor ITPs
for completely new people with no relation with debian).

> I simply set my preference onto Debian
> Med sponsering.  I also "invented" a way to pick general Blends RFS out
> of the dust by "Sponsering of Blends"[1].

tbh, I don't see a wiki page that efficient (yes, I was already aware of
that page).

> I think the sponsees in our team are doing quite a good work and this is
> the usual time frame when working on these packages - even less in cases
> when I have sponsored a package before and its just an update.

I too keep all the sources of the packages I sponsor locally, and
usually the next sponsoring I do for a given packages takes little
effort, mainly because it's already probably in a way I like it ;)

> > But a downside that won't go away of method is that it's racy, and it's
> > hard to track who is taking care of that given RFS.
>
> We did not yet had this racing condition until, say February this year.
> If it turns out that sponsors are doing duplicated work to some extend
> we should definitely find some means to avoid this.

duplicating works in sponsoring area is quite rare.  It can sometimes be
racy, but the time loss is usually ignorable.

> On the other hand
> I'm really happy about the fact that kind of a niche topic in the Debian
> universe is covered by this amount of manpower.

it's not: nearly nobody (apart me and Gianfranco, mainly) keeps a
costant eye over RFSes.  Inside some teams may be very easy to find a
sponsor (like in the perl team, or in this, where you keep up
magnifically with all the requests), but outside a team is very very
hard to find a sponsor.
It's an activity where I'm enjoying myself actually, so I'm doing it
inside other teams too.

> If I'm not misleaded you do not have a background in the fields we are
> working on, right?

yes indeed.  I'm a computer engineering *student*, and I have no
relation whatsoever with bioinformatics.
My main reason to join this (and -science) team was to do QA work,
mainly when a given package is blocking something (a transition, or a
removal, or a migration, whatever).
I hope you don't mind helping out with some sponsoring work too :)

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  http://mapreri.org                              : :'  :