[Debian-med-packaging] rgeos Debian package rejected because of GPL incompatible gpclib

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Feb 3 09:58:09 UTC 2017

Andreas,

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017, Andreas Tille wrote:

> Hi Roger,
>
> I intended to package rgeos for Debian since it would enable the test
> suite of some other package.  Unfortunately rgeos contains
> R/Rgpc_funcs.R which uses gpclib that has a license:
>
>   Free for non-commercial use; commercial use prohibited (see the files
>   `gpc.c' and `gpc.h' for details)
>
> So how could this be GPL-2?

Obviously it is, because rgeos neither suggests, links to, imports or
depends on the R gpclib package, nor does it load or attach that package.

The functions in R/gpc_geos.R convert sp objects to R gpclib classes,
defined in R/Rgpc_funcs.R. The examples in man/gpc-new-generics.Rd
expressly show how to use GEOS compiled code instead of gpclib compiled
code to yield the same results. That is, when rgeos was first published in
2011, one of its intentions was to show that nobody needed to use the
R gpclib package with its awkward license, but that the code in
R/Rgpc_funcs.R provided a drop-in replacement - load rgeos instead of
gpclib and get the same output but without the gpclib license issue. The
code copied from gpclib/R/Rgpc.R to rgeos/R is:

## Copyright (C) 2003-2010 Roger D. Peng <rpeng at jhsph.edu>

Our understanding of the R gpclib LICENSE is that it only refers to the
code written by Alan Murta and "taken" by this former employer - that is
the files src/gpc.*. This is evidenced by the verbatim text of the package
LICENSE file: Free for non-commercial use; commercial use prohibited (see
the files `gpc.c' and `gpc.h' for details). Obviously C and R code written
by the maintainer or contributed by others is not covered by this
restriction.

If the ftpmaster doesn't grasp one of the purposes of rgeos having been to
provide a substitute for gpclib, I think it is that person's problem
exclusively. I can see that the R gpclib package LICENSE file should have
been drafted to state that only src/gpc.* are covered by the conditions
stated therein, and that the remainder should have been given an
appropriate license. I could enter a pull request to gpclib about that,
and I could consider dropping the gpclib substitution code from rgeos,
because we've won that battle. But really suggesting that I don't know
what I'm doing only shows that the ftpmaster has severely limited ability
to understand how software is actually developed and used, and is probably
a bot - "sees": Free for non-commercial use; commercial use prohibited
(see the files`gpc.c' and `gpc.h' for details), and reacts without any
insight or analysis.

You could have read the code too. How many more stupid interventions do I
have to tolerate before I ban any Debian packaging of my work?

Roger