[xml/sgml-pkgs] Too many xerces versions in sarge: can we get rid of some?

Jay Berkenbilt qjb@debian.org
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:53:08 -0500

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 09:41:53PM -0500, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
>> How strongly do you feel about having only one version of xerces in
>> sarge?  If we have only one version, having it be xerces25 is
>> definitely the easiest way to achieve that.
>
> Supporting two versions of a library in stable is not unreasonable.  It's
> the "three or more" scenario we have currently that bothers me.

xerces24 is gone, and I've now requested removal of xerces23 and
closed its outstanding bugs.  I didn't bother creating the dummy RC
bug since I'm expecting the removal request to be answered promptly,
but I can do that if you want (or you can) if you want to remove it
from sarge rather than waiting for it to happen automatically.

Since xerces25 is needed for libxml-xerces-perl, let's plan to have
xerces25 and xerces26 in sarge.  I'll close the bug against xalan
since there's no reason to force it to use a version of xerces it
doesn't want to.  For the other three packages, I'll still encourage
the users to depend upon xerces26 if they can.  Who knows -- maybe
XML::Xerces 2.6.0 will be released soon (not likely) and Berin will
package xalan 1.9 before sarge.  Then we can dump xerces25 without
bothering gdal, qgis, and anon-proxy.  (I'm not holding my breath.)
Anyway, unless you object, I'll move forward with this plan.

--Jay