[xml/sgml-pkgs] Re: Build failure: cannot find -lz

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Tue Jul 25 19:29:15 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 08:50:48PM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > So yes, please re-add the dependency on libxml2-dev for the time being.

> We're still not so much in a rush.

Yes, we *are*.  The RC bug count for etch is currently moving in the wrong
direction, and having dozens of FTBFS bugs added all of a sudden contributes
to this problem.

> Freeze is not tomorrow. Let's first fix packages that don't use a correct
> libtool,

Note that unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, "correct
libtool" here means "Debian libtool including patches that have not been
accepted upstream".  There are a number of Debian maintainers who resist
re-libtoolizing their packages using the Debian libtool, because they don't
want to carry around the large diffs to autogenerated files.  All the
packages maintained by the GNOME team apparently fall in this category.

> and then let's see if we need the dependency again if the time
> is too short to fix everything.

We already know that time is too short, because this change will cause
literally dozens, or possibly even *hundreds*, of RC FTBFS bugs that will
eat up the time of everyone trying to push for release, distracting from the
ones that actually *need* to be fixed on their respective packages.

If you want to try to work out which packages can be usefully updated to the
Debian libtool and submit patches, I'm all in favor of this -- but in the
meantime, please don't leave libxml2-dev in unstable in a state that breaks
our ability to build large portions of the archive.

vorlon at debian.org                                   http://www.debian.org/