[Debichem-devel] Test

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Mon Apr 16 14:39:02 BST 2018

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 11:22:47PM +1000, Stuart Prescott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I propose we try to migrate debichem-devel to lists.debian.org, as
> > debichem at lists.debian.org, at least for general development discussions.
>
> I think that makes sense.
>
> > The main question would be whether we should use that list as
> > Maintainer: as well as that seems to be not very welcome according to
> > e.g.  https://wiki.debian.org/Salsa/AliothMigration . Probably it makes
> > sense to keep using debichem-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org for that as
> > long as possible, what do other think?
>
> AIUI the listmaster's request is to not have lists that are *solely* for
> automated emails from VCS or BTS emails. I don't think they have anything
> against a discussion list that also receives BTS notifications and indeed
> several other teams are doing exactly that. Using debichem at lists.d.o as a
> maintainer would be just fine.

Ok, I'll mention that in the bug report requesting the list with the
option to back out of that for now.

The other question then would be:

1. Should we get the subscriber list migrated?

2. Should we try to get the archive migrated?

I think 1.) make sense, but 2.) proabably doesn't as I'd guess we do a
"soft-migration" of Maintainer-fields, i.e. no hard cut when we switch
over, just a gradual phasing out of debichem-devel as more and more
packages use the new list.

> salsa.d.o and tracker.d.o make it very easy for any individual to subscribe to
> any packages that they particularly care about to receive notifications of
> merge requests, VCS commits, BTS changes or uploads. The team features of
> tracker.d.o rapidly come close to dealing with all these features in a central
> way for those who want to know about all packages. There's no need for commit
> mailing lists any more and so pointing one to debichem at lists.d.o would be both
> unwelcome and unnecessary.

Right, I forgot to mention that I did not request the debichem-commits
mailing-list to be migrated and assumed nobody would mind if we drop
that. If you feel otherwise, please speak up!

Michael