[Debtags-devel] Hello, and a few improved tag descriptions

Mike Paul mike@wyzardry.net
Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:23:00 -0400

--=-lr5dPuDqD4EsJtaGGBsE

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 13:51 +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:
> If you want to know Debtags a bit more, you can have a look at the
> paper I've just written and Thaddeus and Ben helped reviewing:
>=20
>   http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/paper-debtags.html
>    or
>   http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/paper-debtags.pdf
>    or
>   http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/paper-debtags.rst

Looks good!  It's well-written and fun to read, and it nicely brings
together all the information that I'd previously found only by browsing
around various parts of the website plus reading the list archives.

One error though:  the section "The tag database" says that the tag
sources are listed in /etc/apt/sources.list, when they're actually
in /etc/debtags/sources.list.

> Since you mentioned C++: have you ever been using functors?  I was
> considering switching the various consumer classes in the library to
> functors, but I've got no experience with them.

I generally avoid using "functor notation" (overloading operator()) for
reasons of readability:  it makes it not readily apparent what's an
object and what's a function.  It's a matter of personal taste, and if
someone were to present a good argument as to why this notation is a
good thing I might change my mind, but if you're talking about
Consumer::consume() in libdebtags1/trunk/debtags/Consumer.h, I think I'd
just leave that as it is.
--=20
Mike Paul <mike@wyzardry.net>

--=-lr5dPuDqD4EsJtaGGBsE