[Debtags-devel] I want a X to Y Z

Enrico Zini enrico@enricozini.org
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 12:00:29 +0200

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

Hello,

I was thinking at a possible supersimple package search interface that
allows to do phrases like "I want a X to Y Z".

We already have facets to define Y (use::) and Z (media::).  We don't
have a proper facet for X (although role:: kind of qualifies).  And this
could be a good opportunity to fix role::.

So, I was considering some example such phrases we could compose:

  I want a program to edit text
  I want a program to view raster images
  I want a library to edit raster images
  I want an applet to search dictionaries

Question 1: Can you point out examples with more tricky cases?

This approach could be extended to have more facets such as:

  I want an X11 GTK program to edit raster images in PNG format

Leading to a grammar such as:

  "I want a" [interface [uitoolkit]] [role|"anything"] "to" use media
     ["in" format "format"]

Question 2: Can you point out examples in which such a phrase will be
            absurd?

Question 3: Do you want to play with the python building to create a
            GUI to compose such a question and see the results?  It
	    can be a cool way of testing and improving the binding
	    together.

Ciao,

Enrico=20

--