[Debtags-devel] Renaming the 'media' facet into 'specialty'

Enrico Zini enrico@enricozini.org
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 15:30:01 +0200

--wac7ysb48OaltWcw

Hello,

Buried in the previous mail I sent, there is a proposal.  I'm proposing
to rename 'media' into 'specialty', so that we can add tags (such as
'processes') for things that packages manipulate but they are not
recognised as 'media'.

That would also solve a misuse of the term media: proper media would be
"paper" or "magnetic tape", but our packages mostly work with some
abstract representation of it.

Let's say, I'm going to do it if I don't see anyone against by the end
of the week-end.

The mail bit I refer to is this one:

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 12:49:47PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:

[...]

> Ys where Z isn't a data type; "I want an X11 app to monitor
> processes" (gps, tkps...).  Or where it's a rare and obscure one
> ("to download webcomics", "to convert TNEF attachments").

About 'processes': interesting.  It could go in 'media' if we define it
as 'things a program manipulates', but one doesn't think 'processes' as
some sort of media.  That seems to call for an extension of 'media' (to
include 'processes') and possibly a rename ('domain'?  'concern'?
'realm'? 'works-with'? 'specialty'? 'territory'?  'specialty' seems to
be the best in the list for me).

  I'm tempted to do this!
 =20

Ciao,