[Debtags-devel] Data and Role restructuring proposal

Enrico Zini enrico@enricozini.org
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 17:37:25 +0200

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 07:51:20PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:

> And I definititely feel that all the data:: categories belong in
> role::, along with new tags for "dependency metapackage" and "dummy
> package for upgrades" and a couple of others.  Though this may of
> course be me showing my admin-centric bias.

Good point here.  'auto-inst-parts' could be moved to 'role' and split
into "dummy package for upgrades", "dependency metapackage", "shared
library" and "application data".

Merging data into role is also a good point.

Let's see what the resulting set will be:

   role::applet      - Applets and Dockapps
   role::client      - Client application
   role::data        - Application-specific data
   role::devel-lib   - Development library
   role::dictionary  - Dictionary
   role::doc         - Documentation
   role::driver      - Hardware driver
   role::dummy       - Dummy package used for upgrades
   role::font        - Font
   role::fortune     - Fortune quotations
   role::icons       - Icons
   role::metapackage - Dependency metapackage
   role::server      - Server
   role::shlib       - Shared library
   role::text        - Books and text documents
   role::theme       - Themes
   role::userdoc     - User Documentation
   role::utility     - Utilities

It might even make sense to do a bit of grouping here for clarity:

   role::sw-applet           - (Software) Applets and Dockapps
   role::sw-client           - (Software) Client application
   role::sw-devel-lib        - (Software) Development library
   role::sw-driver           - (Software) Hardware driver
   role::sw-server           - (Software) Server
   role::sw-theme            - (Software) Themes
   role::sw-utility          - (Software) Utilities
   role::content-dictionary  - (Content) Dictionary
   role::content-doc         - (Content) Documentation
   role::content-font        - (Content) Font
   role::content-fortune     - (Content) Fortune quotations
   role::content-icons       - (Content) Icons
   role::content-text        - (Content) Books and text documents
   role::content-userdoc     - (Content) User Documentation
   role::aux-data            - (Auxiliary) Application-specific data
   role::aux-dummy           - (Auxiliary) Dummy package used for upgrades
   role::aux-metapackage     - (Auxiliary) Dependency metapackage
   role::aux-shlib           - (Auxiliary) Shared library

It's hard however to say that themes are software or not (GTK themes at
least have engines inside that are software performing the rendering),
and documentation is not necessarily content only (think of interactive
documentation such as an expert system).

If everyone is happy I could try making this change and then we can all
see what comes out.  In the worst case, I roll it back.

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>