[Debtags-devel] debtags website

Enrico Zini enrico@enricozini.org
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:36:10 +0200

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 10:05:58AM -0400, Phill Atwood wrote:

> Well, before I do anything with the debtags website, I'd like to start=20
> at the beginning.  So, the question for the list is: What do you see is=
=20
> the purpose of the debtags website?

As a Debtags developer, I welcome everything that can pick up valuable
material in any form and turn it into some structured for of
documentation that could be useful to anyone.  In other words, if a
question is answered in the list I'd like both the question and the
answer to eventually show up in the website.

The FAQ is the first thing that comes to my mind; although most of the
components of a website would be answers to questions anyway.

In this same optics, I quite like to answer questions with a short
answer and a link to some more detailed discussion.

So, my purpose #1 is collecting knowledge that became explicit: while we
learn more and progress in the list, we should give new people a chance
of jumping directly to where we are.

My purpose #2 is usefulness for copy&paste.  If I'm away and I need to
remember and type the long SVN address, it's good if I can just go to
debtags.alioth.debian.org and see the address, copy it and paste it.

Same I usually do with the mailing list archive pages, for example; but
also tricky invocations of Debtags that I figure out once and won't
probably be able to find another time, such as these which I recently
added to the README[1]:

    # Show all packages which have a tag in uitoolkit but not a tag in
    # interface (same can be repeated for hardware and hwtech, devel and
    # langdevel)
    debtags facetcoll | grep uitoolkit | grep -v interface | cut -d: -f1 | =
sort | uniq

    # Get a list of toplevel facets in a facet hierarchy
    debtags facetcoll | tagcoll hierarchy | cut -f2 -d/ | cut -f1 -d: | sor=
t | uniq

So a tips&tricks is another thing that comes to my mind.

A purpose #3 for me could also be automatically publishing some
statistics like the output of "debtags stats" or what I'm doing with
http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/todoreport.html: many people asks
questions such as "what's the current situation with Debtags?" or "How
many packages are currently tagged?"

This is what comes to my mind at the moment; of course needs tend to
change in the future.

Ciao,

Enrico

[1]
Note: a couple of days ago I merged all TODO-lists into the READMEs and
turned the READMEs into reStructuredText.  That means we have a way of
automatically publishing in the website the READMEs for all 6 of my
debtags packages (libtagcoll1, tagcoll, tagcolledit, libdebtags1,
debtags, debtags-edit).
--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9