[Fingerforce-devel] 0.4 release soon?

Miguel Gea Milvaques miguel at xeraco.com
Sun Nov 25 17:16:21 UTC 2007

En/na Luca Capello ha escrit:
> Hi Timo!

> mainly Debian.
>
> At the end a Debian user reported the known ssh hang in 0.3 [1].  As I
> explained in the bug report, I'm not inclined to apply the single ssh
> patch in the Debian package, since it's already included upstream and
> anyway AFAIK ThinkFinger is deprecated in favor of fprint [2] (or
> whatever general solution will be adopted).
>
> Thus my question: is a 0.4 (or anyway >0.3) release planned soon?
>
> FWIW, my plan is to package the next release and then set up a migration
> path towards fprint.  This is easily manageable especially because
> ThinkFinger has never entered unstable, but it sits in experimental
> since the first upload.  So my idea is to avoid shipping ThinkFinger in
> lenny (the next stable Debian release) and focus on fprint instead.

We must be careful with fprint license. fprint upstream say it's legal
the use he has about NBIS software that he includes into. I've sent a
mail to debian legal [1] and I only have an answer for license, not for
export problems in NBIS software.  Anybody know anything about export
laws in USA?

I've been testing fprint and it works really nice!, It should be a
really good idea to get into Debian. The ITP now is owned by Fingerfore
list mail [2]. I didn't upload yet to svn because I have big doubts
about legal distribution of NBIS code.

On the other hand, Radek Bartoň
<https://alioth.debian.org/users/blackhex2-guest/> is doing a really
good work on fvs, improving it. It's working in fingerforce alioth svn,
so we can see the changes. If It was not possible distribute NBIS
software, we always could use fvs to substitute it.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/11/msg00205.html