[Freedombox-discuss] Problems with PageKite in 0.5

Markus Sabadello markus at projectdanube.org
Tue Aug 11 12:16:35 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'm trying to configure PageKite via Plinth.
In my case, the "Server" is markus.freedombox.me, and the "Kite name" is
markus.freedombox.me as well.

I found 2 problems and 1 potential improvement:

1. Plinth doesn't remove the "abort_not_configured" line in
/etc/pagekite.d/10_accounts.rc.
This line needs to be removed, otherwise PageKite refuses to start.

2. In /etc/pagekite.d/20_accounts.rc, Plinth writes the following:
frontend=markus.freedombox.me

But it should actually write:
frontend=markus.freedombox.me:80

If the port is missing, PageKite doesn't work at all.
Of course I can put the full server AND port into the Plinth "Server" field.
But this is not obvious, so I think Plinth should add the port :80 if
it's missing.

3. In /etc/pagekite.d/80_httpd.rc (and other service configurations),
Plinth correctly writes the following:
service_on = http:@kitename:localhost:80:@kitesecret

This is not a bug, but I propose that Plinth should also write a second
line as following:
service_on = http:*. at kitename:localhost:80:@kitesecret

This way, subdomains will also be tunneled to the box, could be useful
if we want to deploy apps at subdomains rather than paths.

Markus